On this page
Australian inventions are helping to power businesses and improve the lives of everyday Australians.
Some of our most successful inventions are the result of collaboration between Australian businesses and researchers from publicly-funded research organisations such as universities or the Commonwealth Science and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO).
Businesses that work with researchers on innovation are more likely to improve productivity than businesses that don’t. Together businesses and researchers can solve problems and bring new goods and services to the market.
The government wants to connect more of the brightest minds in research and business to ensure Australia has innovative solutions to support long-term economic growth.
Help for business
There are many Australian Government initiatives that help connect businesses and researchers.
- stimulating business investment in research and development through the Research and Development Tax Incentive
- providing advice and grants to boost business growth through the Entrepreneurs’ Programme Innovation Connections
- supporting industry-led collaborations between business, researchers and the community through the Cooperative Research Centres Program
- driving innovation and cultural change through sector-led Industry Growth Centres
- developing and promoting place-based Innovation Precincts
- connecting STEM graduates and Australian businesses through National Innovation Games
- helping more Australian SMEs and researchers to collaborate with international partners
We’re also working to improve government initiatives by using insights from the Business Research Collaboration User-Centred Design project.
See the full range of government services and support for businesses on business.gov.au.
- Read Universities Australia’s Clever Collaborations business case for partnering with universities
- Learn more about CSIRO’s SME Connect initiative to connect Australian SMEs with the research sector
- Find out more about opportunities for researchers to connect with business through Australian Research Council Grants
- Read about the whole-of-government approach to increasing international innovation
Last updated: 8 December 2020
Content ID: 66185