On this page
Australian Square Kilometre Array Fellowships Programme
Expressions of interest for the 2018-19 SKA Fellowships Programme are now closed.
The Australian Square Kilometre Array (SKA) Fellowships Programme is establishing stronger links between Australian organisations and the SKA Organisation in the United Kingdom (UK). The program provides opportunities for individuals and the organisations they represent to contribute directly to the design and development of the SKA.
Fellows spend 2 to 3 months at the SKA Organisation headquarters in the UK contributing to the delivery of the Phase 1 design work. Projects may cover any of the work of the SKA Organisation as they develop a final design and move to construction of Phase 1.
The program is open to any Australia-based person with skills in designing and implementing a major science infrastructure project. Relevant areas of expertise include:
- mission assurance
Previous SKA Fellows have included SKA scientists and business operations specialists.
The SKAO meets the cost of accommodation during the Fellow’s time working in the Headquarters.
The Australian SKA Office and affiliates provide return travel to the UK. Any additional travel costs will be met by the Fellow or their employer.
The Fellow’s employer pays the Fellow’s salary during the fellowship period. This support is prerequisite to application.
Visa requirements will depend on the Fellow’s personal circumstances. The Australian SKA Office will meet reasonable costs.
Applying for a fellowship
Expressions of interest for 2018 are now closed. The Australian SKA Office may make further calls for applications to seek candidates with specific skill sets if the need arises.
Express interest to apply
- Complete the Fellowships Expression of Interest [3.4MB PDF] [40KB DOCX] form.
- Email the completed form and your résumé to the Australian SKA Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Australian SKA Office and SKAO Headquarters consider all expressions of interest.
Proposals that best match the project's current strategic priorities will be awarded a Fellowship.
You will have the opportunity to suggest short projects or nominate areas of work you could contribute to as part of the process.
Submit a formal application
If your expression of interest is accepted, you will are asked to submit a formal application. The Australian SKA Office will work with you to confirm:
- travel details
- the scope of work proposed
- any additional activities
Fellowship terms and conditions
The Fellowship includes a pre-travel briefing with the Chair of the Australian-New Zealand SKA Coordination Committee (ANZSCC) Science Advisory Committee (SAC).
- must sign a Secondment and Intellectual Property agreement before commencing the Fellowship
- are expected to work with Australian colleagues before and after the SKAO visit: this is to build expertise and share information
- report back on project outcomes to the ANZSCC SAC
- present at the annual SKA science conference in Australia
Connect with us
- Follow us on Twitter @SKA_Australia
- Join the Australasian Square Kilometre Array Industry Cluster for project updates, networking and other opportunities
Australia’s National Science Statement sets a long-term approach to achieving a strong science system.
- Square Kilometre Array Project
Last updated: 8 December 2020
Content ID: 46056