On this page
Australian SKA Fellowships Programme
Expressions of interest for the SKA Fellowships Programme are temporarily on hold due to travel restrictions associated with the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Australian SKA Fellowships Programme aims to establish stronger links between Australian organisations and the SKA Observatory (SKAO). The program provides opportunities for individuals, and the organisations they represent, to contribute directly to the development of the SKA.
Fellowships are typically 2 to 3 months and are based at the SKAO headquarters in the United Kingdom (UK).
The program is open to any Australia-based person with skills in designing and implementing a major science infrastructure project. Relevant areas of expertise include:
- mission assurance
Previous SKA Fellows have included SKA scientists and business operations specialists.
The SKAO meets the cost of accommodation during the Fellow’s time working in the Headquarters.
The Australian SKA Office and affiliates provide return travel to the UK. Any additional travel costs will be met by the Fellow or their employer.
The Fellow’s employer pays the Fellow’s salary during the fellowship period. This support is prerequisite to application.
Visa requirements will depend on the Fellow’s personal circumstances. The Australian SKA Office will meet reasonable costs.
Applying for a fellowship
Express interest to apply
- Complete the Fellowships Expression of Interest [3.4MB PDF] [40KB DOCX] form.
- Email the completed form and your résumé to the Australian SKA Office: ska [at] industry.gov.au (subject: Fellowships%20Programme%20enquiry)
The Australian SKA Office and SKAO consider all expressions of interest.
Proposals that best match the project's current strategic priorities will be awarded a Fellowship.
You will have the opportunity to suggest short projects or nominate areas of work you could contribute to.
Submit a formal application
If your expression of interest is accepted, you will be asked to submit a formal application. The Australian SKA Office will work with you to confirm:
- travel details
- the scope of work proposed
- any additional activities.
Fellowship terms and conditions
The Fellowship includes a pre-travel briefing with the Chair of the Australian SKA Coordination Committee (ASCC) Science Advisory Committee (SAC).
- must sign a Secondment and Intellectual Property agreement before commencing the Fellowship
- are expected to work with Australian colleagues before and after the SKAO visit: this is to build expertise and share information
- report back on project outcomes to the ASCC SAC
- present at the annual SKA science conference in Australia.
Read SKA project news.
Connect with us
- Follow us on Twitter and Instagram @SKA_Australia
- Join the Australasian SKA Industry Cluster for project updates, networking and other opportunities
- Subscribe to our Astronomy in Australia Newsletter from Astronomer-at-large Fred Watson
Email ska [at] industry.gov.au
Australia’s National Science Statement sets a long-term approach to achieving a strong science system.
- Square Kilometre Array Project
Last updated: 19 July 2021
Content ID: 46056