Innovation Month 2020
The Australian Public Service celebrated Innovation Month each July. The month provided an opportunity to share innovation experiences and explore new ideas. These in turn improved work practices and helped deliver better products and services for Australians.
Innovation Month went online for the first time in 2020. The theme was ‘delivering differently’, reflecting the public sector’s outcomes-focused response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Social distancing restrictions shook up the traditional face-to-face event model.
We captured insights and some video recordings of the events.
Watch the Innovation Month launch
Explore Innovation Month events
- Innovation Month launch vodcast: Work with purpose
- Reimagining government: Share power
- Trust, empathy, competence: Skills for public sector innovation
- Thriving, not just surviving, in an uncertain future
- Data and space
- Making innovative public sector organisations
- Don’t waste a crisis
- How to run collaborative remote meetings that don’t suck
- Mental health CPR
- We’re all human: recruiting new talent
- Back to the future: COVID-19 and the future of the APS workshop
- System-led design: identify the right problem to solve
- Innovative resilience: thriving in systemic failure
- Delivering data differently
- Exploring Nesta’s participatory futures report
- Mobilising during the pandemic: APS lessons learned workshop
- Reimagining government: Lead with humility
- How to use evidence in policy making
- Innovation-ish tools for leading through ambiguity
- Unlocking 20 years of trapped knowledge
- Our Futures: a game about participation, design, and the future(s)
- Turning patents inside out: exposing COVID-19 know-how
- Get real! With innovation
- Reimagining government: Reorient to learning
- Deliver differently and redefine your goals
About Innovation Month
Innovation Month began as Innovation Week at the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry in 2011. It evolved into a collective effort of public sector agencies and innovation leaders inside and outside the APS. It became the cornerstone event of the APS innovation community, with thousands attending events across Australia each year.
The Public Sector Innovation Network (PSIN) coordinated Innovation Month 2020.
PSIN ceased on 8 January 2021 and this was the last event.
- See PSIN innovation case studies, resources and news
- For earlier events and resources explore our old website on the National Library of Australia Trove archive