An Australian defence manufacturing base that delivers world-leading capabilities for the Australian Defence Force (ADF) and responsible exports in our national interest.
This stronger manufacturing base will be enabled by a larger number of medium-sized defence businesses that can secure long-term supplier relationships, contribute to and sustain Defence capability, and engage with small businesses.
Our growth opportunities
Defence: leveraging investments and commitments to integrate emerging technologies and scale manufacturing of products and components supporting ADF priorities, such as:
- drones/unmanned aircrafts
- special military equipment including night vision goggles and combat protection.
International: expanding capabilities to service new and existing export markets with strategic partners (subject to regulations) in products and components such as:
- armoured vehicles
- advanced radar systems
- patrol boats.
Cross-sector applications: diversifying to cross-sector applications such as:
- space domain awareness equipment, including sensor networks
- medical countermeasures including diagnostic tools and personal protective equipment.
2 years: Manufacturers are investing more in addressing Defence priority capabilities and other market opportunities have improved their linkages within the defence ecosystem.
5 years: Greater manufacturing capability and increased participation in defence supply chains by Australian businesses. Smaller manufacturers are scaling up, creating the underrepresented ‘middle’ of the defence industry.
10 years: More Australian businesses are contributing to local and international defence supply chains, while more Australian innovation and intellectual property is contributing to products supplied to the ADF and other markets.
Unlocking our opportunities—the first 2 years
Focus: Growing scale and competitiveness in the defence manufacturing sector through increasing commercialisation opportunities, supporting businesses to diversify into new sectors or markets and aggregating their capacities and expertise.
- Leveraging Defence investments and long term commitments: commercialise or demonstrate late stage R&D activities that contribute to Defence priorities.
- Diversifying to cross-sector applications and exports: expand capabilities to service new and existing export markets and adjacent industries.
- Connecting the defence manufacturing ecosystem: increase collaboration between primes and smaller businesses and scale more medium businesses.