Australian Innovation System Report 2015
The 2015 Australian Innovation System Report explores innovation through the lens of innovative entrepreneurship. It analyses how startups and younger businesses often behave differently and are more likely to report increases in:
- product range
- product innovation
A small number of high growth startups contribute disproportionately to jobs growth in the Australian economy. The report identifies some of the conditions and support needed to start and grow these types of firms, such as:
- cluster development
- corporate culture for innovation
- access to early stage finance
The interactive National Innovation Map identifies the location of innovation activities (research and development expenditure, patent and trade mark counts) and new businesses across Australia over time.
The following research papers underpin the 2015 report:
- The employment dynamics of Australian entrepreneurship
- Australian geography of innovative entrepreneurship
- Financing innovative entrepreneurship
- The effect of age on Australian small-to-medium enterprises
Find out about the Office of the Chief Economist.