On this page
Australian SKA Office
The Australian SKA Office (ASKAO) coordinates the Australian Government’s national and international involvement in the SKA project.
Roles and responsibilities
The ASKAO ensures the SKA will deliver maximum, lasting value to the Australian public and research sector.
- coordinating Australia’s involvement in the SKA project through the Australian SKA Coordination Committee (ASCC) and Australia’s SKA Observatory (SKAO) Council representatives
- engaging with Australasian industry through the Australasian SKA Industry Cluster
- supporting Australian businesses to win work supplying the SKA project
- engaging with the Australian science community through the ASCC Science Advisory Committee on key science issues affecting the project
- working with communities near the site and SKA stakeholders on site preparation
- providing opportunities to contribute to the design and development of the SKA through the SKA Fellowships Programme
- delivering public awareness activities such as the Shared Sky exhibition of Indigenous artworks from remote communities near the SKA sites in Australia and South Africa.
- The global SKA Observatory (SKAO), based in the United Kingdom, oversees the project design, construction and operation
- The Joint Standing Committee on Treaties ratified the Convention establishing the SKA Observatory. Read the Australian Government response
- Read SKA project news
Connect with us
- Follow us on Twitter and Instagram @SKA_Australia
- Join the Australasian SKA Industry Cluster for project updates, networking and other opportunities
- Subscribe to our Astronomy in Australia Newsletter from Astronomer-at-large Fred Watson
- Square Kilometre Array Project
Last updated: 17 August 2021
Content ID: 46061