On this page
Estimating sequestration of carbon in soil using default values method
This Methodology Determination (method) provides the rules for crediting carbon stored in soil resulting from altered management practice as part of the Emissions Reduction Fund (ERF). Reductions achieved by sequestering soil carbon under pasture, crops or mixed farming systems can receive carbon credits under the ERF.
These model-based soil carbon projects involve specific project management activities on eligible land and use default abatement values.
Using the method
To use this method in your project and take part in the ERF, you need to apply to the Clean Energy Regulator. The Regulator manages project registration, compliance and crediting emissions reductions for projects under the ERF.
The method has two guidance documents:
- Guidelines—Qualified Person under the Estimating Sequestration of Carbon in Soil Using Default Values Determination65KB PDF] [271.5KB DOCX]
- Standard Parameters and Emissions Factors for the Carbon Credits (Estimating Sequestration of Carbon in Soil Using Default Values) Methodology Determination 2015 [171KB PDF] [67KB DOCX]
Before registering projects you need to identify the areas eligible for abatement you’re using and divide them into a combination of carbon estimation areas and exclusion areas.
Sequestration maps model the amount of new carbon stored in the project area from each project management activity over the project reporting period. Each soil carbon project must have one or more project management activity.
View the sequestration area maps and their values:
- Conversion to pasture [188KB PDF]
- Sustainable intensification [188KB PDF]
- Stubble retention [183KB PDF]
If you wish to view the map layers in your own mapping software, the datasets are available from data.gov.au.
Consultation on the method
The Emissions Reduction Assurance Committee conducts method reviews.
See public consultation, method drafts, and the Committee’s advice to the Minister on our Consultation hub.
- There is another sequestration of carbon in soil method using a measured approach
- See more methodology determinations
- The Emissions Reduction Fund incentivises Australian businesses to cut the amount of greenhouse gases they create and to undertake activities that store carbon
Connect with us
Email emissions-reduction [at] industry.gov.au
Last updated: 8 December 2020
Content ID: 67363