This report estimates the amount of radioactive waste that exists in Australia or will be produced in the next 50 to 100 years.
It includes the volumes, activity levels, and main radionuclides of waste streams voluntarily reported to the Australian Radioactive Waste Agency (ARWA).
Australia’s estimated radioactive waste inventory in 2021 is:
- intermediate-level waste (ILW) including nuclear materials: 4,377 m³
- low-level waste (LLW): 13,287 m³.
These volumes include estimates of ILW for the next 50 years and LLW for the next 100 years.
The report also describes:
- the process we used to update the inventory
- the main issues we encountered
- recommendations for future inventory updates.