On this page
Office of the Special Adviser to the Australian Government on Low Emissions Technology
The Prime Minister appointed Dr Alan Finkel as Special Adviser to the Australian Government on Low Emissions Technology in December 2020. Dr Finkel is spearheading the government’s efforts to accelerate the development and commercialisation of low emissions technologies.
Dr Finkel supports and promotes the government’s technology-led approach to reducing emissions. By strategically engaging with key international partners, he works to increase practical collaboration on Australia’s priority low emissions technologies.
The Office, led by Dr Finkel, supports Australia’s climate change and emission reduction strategies across government and internationally, including through:
- supporting and expanding technology collaboration with priority trade and strategic partners
- building relationships and engaging internationally focussing on priority trade and strategic partners
- driving Australia’s Technology Investment Roadmap through collaborating with:
- research institutions
- business leaders
- identifying practical and project‑based international collaboration and engagement opportunities to advance our priority low emissions technologies and economic stretch goals
- promoting Australia’s technology-led approach to reducing emissions, including Australia’s National Hydrogen Strategy.
About Dr Alan Finkel
Dr Finkel is a neuroscientist, engineer and entrepreneur. He served as Australia’s Chief Scientist from 2016 to 2020.
Dr Finkel led the development of the:
- Technology Investment Roadmap: First Low Emissions Technology Statement 2020
- Australia’s National Hydrogen Strategy (2019)
- Review into the National Electricity Market (“Finkel Review”) (2017).
Dr Finkel also led the:
- Expert Advisory Panel for the CSIRO Report on Climate and Disaster Resilience (2020)
- STEM Industry Partnership Forum report (2018)
- National Research Infrastructure Roadmap (2016).
At the request of National Cabinet, he led a systems and operations review in all states and territories to enable COVID-19:
- contact tracing
- outbreak management
- case and outbreak management data exchanging.
Dr Finkel is also Chair of Stile Education, and Chair of the Australian Government’s Technology Investment Advisory Council.
Read an overview of Dr Finkel's term as Chief Scientist.
Read a selection of Dr Finkel’s speeches.
- Read the Office of the Special Adviser to the Australian Government on Low Emissions Technology news
- Read about Australia’s climate change strategies
- Read about Australia’s international engagement on climate change on the Department of Foreign Affairs website
- Read the Minister’s announcement of the Special Adviser to the Australia Government on Low Emissions Technology
Connect with us
Follow us on Twitter @AusGov_SALET
Last updated: 11 May 2021
Content ID: 68855