On this page
Industry Growth Centres
The government-funded Growth Centres are driving innovation, productivity and competitiveness in 6 key growth industry sectors.
They support the whole-of-government Modern Manufacturing Strategy.
Industry Growth Centres Initiative
Growth Centres are not-for-profit organisations, each led by a board of industry experts. They lead cultural change in their sectors and focus on:
- increasing collaboration and commercialisation
- improving international opportunities and market access
- enhancing management and workforce skills
- identifying opportunities for regulatory reform
Each centre has a Sector Competitiveness Plan describing:
- the 10-year strategy for the sector
- regulatory reform opportunities
- industry knowledge priorities such as skills and research requirements
Our department administers the initiative and oversees surrounding policy.
The Advanced Manufacturing Growth Centre, AMGC, is working with the sector to drive cultural change, increase competitiveness, unlock new commercial opportunities and foster innovation.
- delivering the AMGC Sector Competiveness Plan
- delivering the Advanced Manufacturing Early Stage Research Fund in collaboration with the department
- co-funding over 60 industry-led collaborative projects to develop new materials, innovative products and enhanced industrial processes
- delivering a $30 million Commercialisation Fund in collaboration with the other Growth Centres and the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), in line with the 6 National Manufacturing Priorities
- providing practical advice to help manufacturers build their resilience
The Cyber Security Growth Centre, AustCyber, is working with the sector to help increase collaboration, build capability, innovate and participate globally competitive markets.
- delivering the AustCyber Sector Competitiveness Plan
- developing Australia’s first national skills-based cyber security qualifications
- providing domestic and international collaboration opportunities through events such as GovPitch
- co-funding over 25 industry-led collaborative projects
- fostering Australia’s cyber capability development through a national network of Cyber Security Innovation Nodes
Food and Agribusiness
The Food and Agribusiness Growth Centre, Food Innovation Australia Ltd (FIAL), is working with the sector to grow the share of Australian food in the global marketplace.
- delivering the FIAL Sector Competiveness Plan
- connecting businesses with research and development expertise through the Enterprise Solutions Centre
- co-funding over 70 industry-led collaborative projects
- delivering hands-on training to build capability in research and innovation
- improving access to international markets through trade missions and the Australian Food Catalogue
- developing clusters across the value chain to unlock the $200 billion potential for the agri-food sector
Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals
The Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals Growth Centre, MTPConnect, is setting direction to establish Australia as an Asia Pacific hub for medical technology and pharmaceutical companies.
- delivering the MTPConnect Sector Competitiveness Plan
- co-funding over 35 industry-led collaborative projects
- delivering the Medical Research Future Fund program for the Department of Health, including:
- working with Austrade and other organisations to engage with international markets
Mining Equipment, Technology and Services (METS)
The Mining Equipment, Technology and Services Growth Centre, METS Ignited, works with Australian mining industry suppliers, global miners, researchers and capital providers to improve competitiveness and productivity of the sector.
- delivering the METS Ignited Sector Competiveness Plan
- launching the Accelerator Program to improve the commercialisation rate of mining technology into the mining sector
- co-funding over 25 industry-led collaborative projects to fast-track mining equipment, technology and services projects into industry
- enhancing workforce capability and skills with METS Masterclasses
- establishing clusters of complimentary expertise to increase commercial engagement opportunities
- supporting NERA in delivering the Regional Hydrogen Technology Cluster Network
Oil, Gas and Energy Resources
The Oil, Gas and Energy Resource Growth Centre, National Energy Resources Australia (NERA), is working with the sector to ensure it is globally competitive, sustainable, innovative and diverse.
- delivering the NERA Sector Competitiveness Plan
- co-funding over 50 industry-led collaborative projects, including to introduce clean technologies into the sector
- helping Small and Medium Enterprises (SME) develop commercial solutions to resources sector challenges with Innovation Vouchers
- supporting the Australian Portal of the Technology Catalogue, an online platform that connects technology suppliers and end users to solve oil and gas challenges and rapidly deploy technologies
- building a Regional Hydrogen Technology Cluster Network to support the hydrogen industry. The program will provide seed funding of up to $100,000 per successful cluster
- launching the Centre of Decommissioning Australia (CODA) to address challenges and maximise opportunities of decommissioning Australia’s aging oil and gas infrastructure
Collaboration between government and industry
The Growth Centres are helping to align industry and innovation policy initiatives by setting strategic priorities for the:
- Australian Research Council Industrial Research Transformation Program
- Cooperative Research Centres Program
- Entrepreneurs' Programme
- Global Innovation Linkages
- SME Export Hubs Initiative
Support for business owners and researchers
Australian business owners in one of these industry sectors can get support from an Industry Growth Centre.
Learn more and see the Industry Growth Centres Initiative program guidelines on business.gov.au
Read about successful SME Export Hubs applicants in these industries
Connect with us
Join us on Facebook @Industry Growth Centres
Email IndustryGrowthCentres [at] industry.gov.au
- Future Clicks podcast explore the future of Australian industries
- A Sector Competitiveness Plan guides Growth Centre Initiatives
- A Regulation Reform Agenda guides Growth Centre reforms
Last updated: 8 September 2021
Content ID: 12611