Industry Growth Centres
Through an industry-led process the Industry Growth Centres Initiative aims to drive innovation, productivity and competitiveness.
The government is funding 6 Growth Centres in sectors of competitive strength and strategic priority.
We administer the Initiative, oversee surrounding policy, and support the Growth Centres Advisory Committee.
Industry Growth Centres Initiative
Industry is best placed to drive cultural change and overcome barriers to innovation, productivity and growth. The government has tasked the Growth Centres with leading cultural change in their sectors. They focus on:
- increasing collaboration and commercialisation
- improving international opportunities and market access
- enhancing management and workforce skills
- identifying opportunities for regulatory reform
Access video transcript.
The Growth Centres are not-for-profit organisations, each led by a board of industry experts. By building capability and collaborative networks, industry sectors will be able to build stronger futures for themselves.
Each centre has its own Sector Competitiveness Plan describing:
- the 10-year strategy for the sector
- identified regulatory reform opportunities
- Industry Knowledge Priorities such as skills and research requirements
The Advanced Manufacturing Growth Centre, AMGC, is working with the sector to drive cultural change, increase competitiveness, unlock new commercial opportunities and foster innovation.
- delivering the AMGC Sector Competiveness Plan
- delivering the Advanced Manufacturing Early Stage Research Fund in collaboration with the department
- co-funding over a dozen industry-led collaborative projects to develop new materials, innovative products and enhanced industrial processes
- providing practical advice to help manufacturers build their resilience
The Cyber Security Growth Centre, AustCyber, is working with the sector to help increase collaboration, build capability, innovate and participate globally competitive markets.
- delivering the AustCyber Sector Competitiveness Plan
- developing Australia’s first national skills-based cyber security qualifications
- providing domestic and international collaboration opportunities through events such as GovPitch
- co-funding industry-led projects through the AustCyber Project Fund
Food and Agribusiness
The Food and Agribusiness Growth Centre, Food Innovation Australia Ltd (FIAL), is working with the sector to grow the share of Australian food in the global marketplace.
- delivering the FIAL Sector Competiveness Plan
- connecting businesses with research and development expertise through the Enterprise Solutions Centre
- delivering hands-on training to build capability in research and innovation
- improving access to international markets through trade missions and the Australian Food Catalogue
Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals
The Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals Growth Centre, MTPConnect, is setting direction to establish Australia as an Asia Pacific hub for medical technology and pharmaceutical companies.
- delivering the MTPConnect Sector Competitiveness Plan
- funding 35 national projects through the Project Fund Program
- delivering the BioMedTech Horizon program for the Department of Health
- working with Austrade and other organisations to engage with international markets
Mining Equipment, Technology and Services (METS)
The Mining Equipment, Technology and Services Growth Centre, METS Ignited, works with Australian mining industry suppliers, global miners, researchers and capital providers to improve competitiveness and productivity of the sector.
- delivering the METS Ignited Sector Competiveness Plan
- launching the Accelerator Program to improve the commercialisation rate of mining technology into the mining sector
- providing Collaborative Project Funds to fast-track mining equipment, technology and services projects into industry
- enhancing workforce capability and skills with METS Masterclasses
- establishing Clusters of complimentary expertise to increase commercial engagement opportunities
Oil, Gas and Energy Resources
The Oil, Gas and Energy Resource Growth Centre, National Energy Resources Australia (NERA) is working with the sector to ensure it is globally competitive, sustainable, innovative and diverse.
- delivering the NERA Sector Competitiveness Plan
- funding collaborative projects, including to introduce clean technologies into the sector
- helping SMEs develop commercial solutions to resources sector challenges with Innovation Vouchers
- supporting the Australian Portal of the Technology Catalogue, an online platform that connects technology suppliers and end users to solve oil and gas challenges and rapidly deploy technologies
Collaboration between government and industry
The Growth Centres are helping to align industry and innovation policy initiatives by setting strategic priorities for the:
- Australian Research Council Industrial Research Transformation Program
- Cooperative Research Centres Program
- Entrepreneurs' Programme
- Global Innovation Linkages
- SME Export Hubs Initiative
Connect with us
Join us on Facebook @Industry Growth Centres
- Read about the Small and Medium Enterprises (SME) Export Hubs round 2 successful applicants
- For more about the future of Australian industries listen to our Future Clicks podcast
- Industry Growth Centre Initiative: Sector Competitiveness Plans Overview
- Regulation Reform Agendas: Guidance for Growth Centres
- Industry Growth Centre Initiative: Programme Guidelines
- Industry Growth Centre Initiative: Overview
- See an independent assessment of the Growth Centre Initiative
Last updated: 12 November 2020
Content ID: 12611