The Global Partnership on Artificial Intelligence launches
Australia has joined the Global Partnership on Artificial Intelligence (GPAI). The initiative is the first of its kind. Members foster international collaboration on the responsible use and development of Artificial Intelligence (AI).
About the GPAI
The GPAI is grounded in human rights, inclusion, diversity, innovation and economic growth. It will connect theory and practice on AI by supporting research and applied projects, pilots, and experimentation on AI-related priorities.
Founding members include Australia, Canada, the European Union, Germany, India, France, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea, Singapore, Slovenia, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America.
Leading experts from industry, civil society, governments and academia will take part in working groups. They will focus on four key themes:
- responsible AI
- data governance
- the future of work
- innovation and commercialisation
In the short term, the initiative will look into how to use AI to better respond to and recover from COVID-19.
Australia has nominated several world-renowned experts to contribute their expertise:
- Professor Genevieve Bell — Director of the 3A Institute, Florence Violet McKenzie Chair, Distinguished Professor at the Australian National University and Vice President and Senior Fellow at Intel Corporation
- Professor Enrico Coiera — Director of the Centre for Health Informatics, Australian Institute of Health Innovation at Macquarie University
- Professor Elanor Huntington — Dean of Engineering and Computer Science at the Australian National University
- Professor Toby Walsh — Scientia Professor of Artificial Intelligence at the University of New South Wales and Algorithmic Decision Theory Group at Data61 and TU Berlin lead
- Dr Paul Dalby — Business Development Manager of the Australian Institute for Machine Learning at the University of Adelaide
- The Minister announced Australia's inclusion in the GPAI on 16 June 2020
- Read more about our work with Artificial Intelligence
- Read the joint statement from founding members of the GPA