Ongoing investment to boost the Australia-India Strategic Research Fund
From 2025, the Australian Government will invest $3.8 million each year to continue the Australia-India Strategic Research Fund.
This investment will continue to strengthen our research collaborations with India in strategic areas like:
- critical minerals
- critical technologies
- new and renewable energy technologies.
These vibrant, emerging areas are increasingly vital for driving Australia’s economic prosperity and job creation.
Since 2006, the fund has provided more than $100 million to support over 350 collaborative activities, including joint projects and fellowships. The program objectives are to:
- support collaboration between Australian and Indian researchers in strategically focused, leading-edge scientific research and technology projects
- strengthen strategic alliances between Australian and Indian researchers
- facilitate Australia and India’s access to the global science and technology system.
This new investment builds on other Australia–India collaborative initiatives. The Prime Minister has recently announced that Australia will establish:
- a Centre of Excellence for Critical and Emerging Technology Policy in India
- a new Consulate-General in Bengaluru to expand diplomatic ties across India’s largest technology, space and IT hub.
Further investment is also set to help Australian businesses tap into India’s booming space industry.
- Read more about the Australia–India Strategic Research Fund
- The Minister announced the new investment on 22 March 2022