National Hydrogen Strategy priorities and delivery for 2020
Updated: Originally published on 15 June 2020.
In November 2019, we released the National Hydrogen Strategy. Now we’re bringing it to life.
The COAG Energy Council established the Hydrogen Project Team in March 2020 to implement the strategy. Alongside establishment of the Hydrogen Project Team, Australia’s Chief Scientist Dr Alan Finkel will continue to provide support as the government’s Hydrogen Adviser.
Here in the department, the Hydrogen Strategy team will support Australian Government activities to advance Australia’s hydrogen industry and shape global markets. James Hetherington leads this team.
National Hydrogen Strategy 2020 priorities
This year we’re focussing on international collaboration, national coordination, supporting priority industry projects and legislative reviews.
Guarantee of Origin Certification scheme
An initial consultation with industry on a hydrogen certification scheme closes 22 June 2020. Next: a mid-year workshop. Stay tuned for further developments over time.
International partnerships and engagement
Australia is engaging internationally to build on our strong trade relationships and set the foundation for Australia to become a key exporter of hydrogen.
Key developments include:
- September 2019–Australia and the Republic of Korea signed a Letter of Intent to develop a Hydrogen Action Plan.
- January 2020–Australia and Japan signed the Joint Statement on Cooperation on Hydrogen and Fuel Cells
- March 2020–Australia and Singapore agreed to pursue a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on low emissions technologies by the end of 2020.
- April 2020–Australia became a member of the US Center for Hydrogen Safety.
- September 2020–Australia and Germany signed a Joint Declaration of Intent on a Supply Chain Feasibility Study of Hydrogen produced from Renewables.
- The Australian Government is calling for an Australian research and industry consortium to partner with German industry on the study through an Expression of Interest process. Apply on the GrantConnect website.
Review of the legal framework
The COAG Hydrogen Project Team is coordinating a review of state, territory and Commonwealth hydrogen regulations relevant to hydrogen safety and industry development. The review will deliver recommendations for reform.
Review supporting hydrogen use in Australian gas networks
The COAG Hydrogen Project Team is leading review activities to support use of hydrogen in Australian gas networks. These include: a review of the National Gas Law (NGL) and other national energy legislation, regulations and rules as applied to hydrogen; economic analysis of hydrogen in gas networks; and options for a framework for setting and allowing updates of upper limits on the volume of hydrogen allowed to be blended in gas networks.
Support for pilots, trials and demonstrations
The government has committed $370 million to advancing Australia’s hydrogen industry since the release of the strategy. Applications have now closed for the $70 million Renewable Hydrogen Deployment Funding Round run by the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA). ARENA received 36 expressions of interest in response to the initial application stage, with projects totalling more than $3 billion.
- Subscribe to Australian Hydrogen News
- Read how we are growing the Australian hydrogen industry