Join the best of the best at Science Meets Parliament 2022
Science Meets Parliament is Australia’s most powerful event connecting STEM experts, policymakers and federal parliamentarians.
This year Science Meets Parliament is on between 28 February – 4 March 2022. You can register now to access the event.
Each year, the event creates deep engagement through a range of:
- inspiring talks
- training workshops
- meetings between scientists and parliamentarians
- a National Press Club address
- National Gala Dinners.
Key departmental speakers
Our department has been a proud sponsor of the event since its inception in 1999. This year, participants will hear from a number of key speakers:
- The Hon Melissa Price MP, Minister for Science and Technology, will deliver the welcoming speech for the event.
- David Fredericks, Secretary, will participate in the panel discussion ‘New to Canberra: How the Parliament, the public service and policymaking work’.
- Jane Urquhart, Acting Deputy Secretary - Industry and Science, will deliver the Foundation Partner Address ‘How the government supports the work of the scientific community’.
- Dr Cathy Foley, Australia's Chief Scientist, will feature in the online Welcome Reception session. She will also appear in the ‘Commercialisation masterclass with Chief Scientist Dr Cathy Foley’.
The event features some of the biggest STEM stars lending their time to high-quality discussions. Program highlights:
- Opening keynote: featuring Nobel Laureate Professor Peter Doherty
- Getting science into the media: hear from influential journalists from the Guardian, ABC Insiders, SBS World News, and Sky News
- Preparing to meet a parliamentarian: featuring Professor Brian Schmidt, ANU President and VC and Professor Veena Sahajwalla, 2022 NSW Australian of the Year
- Indigenous STEM: on knowledge, inspiration, and opportunities: featuring Karlie Noon, astronomer and a Superstar of STEM
- An evening with Brian Cox: in conversation with Kirsten Banks, astrophysicist.
Mark Hutchinson, President of Science and Technology Australia, will host the National Press Club address
on Wednesday 2 March. National Gala Dinners will happen in capital cities across Australia on Thursday 2 June.
Participation and registration
Participants can register to attend the full online program as well as attend in-person events such as the Gala Dinner and National Press Club address.