Investing in northern Australia over the next 5 years
The Australian Government is investing more than $180 million to implement Budget 2021-22 measures through Our North, Our Future: 2021-26 – Next Five Year Plan for northern Australia.
This builds on the government’s commitment to support economic growth in northern Australia through the 20-year framework in the 2015 Our North, Our Future: White Paper on Developing Northern Australia.
Our North, Our Future: 2021–26 supports jobs growth and economic resilience with:
- investment in geographic regions of growth
- initiatives that enable greater digital connectivity in northern Australia
- business support grants to scale-up and diversify operations
This next phase of measures will be rolled out over 5 years from 2021 to 2026. These focus on localised sectoral strengths, delivering the government’s JobMaker Plan, Digital Business Plan, Gas Fired Recovery, Ag2030 and Modern Manufacturing Strategy.
Our North, Our Future: 2021–26 will invest:
- $9.3 million for piloting of a Regions of Growth approach to help capitalise on regional strengths
- $111.9 million for a Northern Australia Development Program to help businesses scale up and diversify
- $68.5 million for the Connecting Northern Australia initiative to improve digital connectivity
A strong northern economy is critical to the future of our national prosperity, and this investment will strengthen it further.
We will release a detailed Our North, Our Future: 2021–26 plan in coming months.
See our Regions of Growth
- The Minister announced the new 5 year plan for Northern Australia on 6 May 2021
- Read more about the Northern Australia agenda
Connect with us
- Subscribe to the Our North Our Future newsletter
- Follow #developingnorthernaustralia on Twitter and LinkedIn
- Email northernaustralia [at] industry.gov.au
- Phone 08 8923 4410