HESC celebrates hydrogen production milestone
The Hydrogen Energy Supply Chain (HESC) Pilot Project has commenced operations at its Victorian facilities.
The HESC pilot is developing a complete hydrogen supply chain:
- creating hydrogen gas through the gasification of Latrobe Valley brown coal
- transporting it to the Port of Hastings for liquefaction
- and then shipping it to Japan
The first trial shipment of liquefied hydrogen from the Port of Hastings to the terminal in Kobe, Japan, is expected later this year.
It will be the first time that liquefied hydrogen has been transported between two continents.
Launched in 2018, the HESC pilot project is a collaboration between Japanese and Australian industry, and the Victorian, Australian and Japanese Governments.
The successful production and liquefaction of hydrogen at the HESC facilities marks an important step in growing Australia’s hydrogen industry.
- Ministers announced this milestone on 12 March 2021
- Read more about the project on the HESC website
- Read about pathways to scale up hydrogen capacity in Australia’s National Hydrogen Strategy