Dr Alan Finkel appointed Special Adviser to the Australian Government on Low Emissions Technology
The Prime Minister appointed Dr Alan Finkel to serve as Special Adviser to the Australian Government on Low Emissions Technology in December 2020.
As Special Adviser, Dr Finkel will spearhead the Australian Government’s efforts to accelerate development and commercialisation of the next generation of low emissions technologies.
Dr Finkel will drive this work through his role as the Chair of the Technology Investment Advisory Council, and through building international relationships and partnerships to expand practical collaboration on Australia’s priority low emissions technologies.
Dr Finkel assumed the role in January 2021 at the end of his term as Australia’s Chief Scientist (2016-2020). As Chief Scientist, he was appointed Chair of the Expert Advisory Panel for the CSIRO Report on Climate and Disaster Resilience, and Chair of the Technology Investment Roadmap Ministerial Reference Group.
Dr Finkel led the development of the:
- 2019 National Hydrogen Strategy
- 2018 STEM Industry Partnership Forum report
- 2017 Review into the National Electricity Market (“Finkel Review”)
- 2016 National Research Infrastructure Roadmap
In October 2020, at the request of National Cabinet, he led a review of the systems and operations in all states and territories for effective COVID-19 testing, contact tracing and outbreak management, and to exchange case and outbreak management data between states and territories.
- Read more about Dr Alan Finkel’s role and the Office of the Special Adviser to the Australian Government on Low Emissions Technology
- Read Australia's first Low Emissions Technology Statement 2020
- Find out more about Australia’s climate change and emissions reduction strategies
- Email email@example.com