The review will look at the Offshore Petroleum and Greenhouse Gas Storage Act 2006 and the Offshore Petroleum and Greenhouse Gas Storage (Environment) Regulations 2023.
The 3 year review will recommend improvements to the environmental management regime to make sure it:
- is fit for purpose in a decarbonising economy
- reflects best practice for offshore environmental management
- is consistent with reforms to the national environmental legislation that the Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water under the government’s Nature Positive Plan is developing
- is consistent with Australia’s international obligations for emissions and sustainable development.
Our department will lead the review. We’ll also work with:
- other government agencies
- the petroleum and greenhouse gas storage industries
- other industries such as fishing
- Traditional Owners
- First Nations peoples and communities
- environmental groups
- international stakeholders.
The review will:
- involve consulting the public on issues papers and policy reform options
- include targeted stakeholder feedback.
The review will examine a series of policy options over time and give iterative advice to government so we can progress changes while still considering options. Public consultation opportunities will be available over the course of the review, including on proposed regularly amendments.