Human Centred Design (HCD) 1.01 is an interactive training for policy, program and service delivery providers across the Australian Public Service (APS).
It introduces HCD principles, tools and techniques and how to apply them in your work.
Learning outcomes and approach
HCD 1.01 is developed and delivered by public servants for public servants, ensuring examples and approaches are tailored for government.
In this 3-day course you will learn:
- how to apply HCD principles to complex problems or opportunities in the public sector
- how to plan and manage projects using HCD tools and techniques, including:
- project scoping and problem definition
- user research and ethnographic techniques
- data synthesis and insight generation
- creative stimulus
- additional skills to drive innovation in government
- where this work is being used and connect with others trained in HCD to form a community of practice
You will come away with a library of techniques to use in your own context, projects and individual pieces of work.
After completing the course you will become part of our exclusive alumni network. You will have the opportunity to bring your team into BizLab to show them how to add a human centred focus to their work.
Available to all APS staff.
Experienced HCD practitioners may be interested in our Train the Trainer course.
APS staff: $1,150 for the full 3-day course.
This fee is calculated on a cost recovery basis and is subject to change with additional administration fees. Our finance team will invoice you once we have received your completed registration form.
Our department’s staff can find fee information through PageUp.
APS staff can register to attend specific courses by completing the course registration form [1.71MB PDF] and emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submitting a registration form won’t guarantee a place on your preferred course. If it’s fully booked, we’ll put you on a waitlist and let you know our next available dates. We run the sessions on demand so they are occasionally subject to change.
Our department’s staff must register internally through PageUp.
Course dates: Canberra
We hold courses in Canberra throughout the year. Each day runs from 9:00am to 5:00pm.
October to November 2019 [Sold out]
- Day 1 Tuesday 29 October
- Day 2 Wednesday 5 November
- Day 3 Tuesday 12 November
November to December 2019 [Sold out]
- Day 1 Wednesday 20 November
- Day 2 Wednesday 27 November
- Day 3 Wednesday 4 December
- Day 1 Tuesday 11 February
- Day 2 Wednesday 12 February
- Day 3 Thursday 13 February
- Day 1 Tuesday 10 March
- Day 2 Tuesday 17 March
- Day 3 Tuesday 24 March
- Day 1 Wednesday 15 April
- Day 2 Wednesday 22 April
- Day 3 Wednesday 29 April
- Day 1 Wednesday 13 May
- Day 2 Wednesday 20 May
- Day 3 Wednesday 27 May
- Day 1 Wednesday 10 June
- Day 2 Wednesday 17 June
- Day 3 Wednesday 24 June
Course dates: state capitals
We offer training on demand in population centres. If you are interested in BizLab running a course near you, please email email@example.com with your location and the number of people interested in training. When there is a class in your location, we will contact you with details.
Each day runs from 9:00am to 5:00pm.
When facilitators need to travel, the course will likely run over 3 consecutive days.