Human Centred Design (HCD) 1.01 is an interactive training for policy, program and service delivery providers across the Australian Public Service (APS).
It introduces HCD principles, tools and techniques and how to apply them in your work.
Learning outcomes and approach
HCD 1.01 is developed and delivered by public servants for public servants, ensuring examples and approaches are tailored for government.
In this 3-day course you will learn:
- how to apply HCD principles to complex problems or opportunities in the public sector
- how to plan and manage projects using HCD tools and techniques, including:
- project scoping and problem definition
- user research and ethnographic techniques
- data synthesis and insight generation
- creative stimulus
- additional skills to drive innovation in government
- where this work is being used and connect with others trained in HCD to form a community of practice
You will come away with a library of techniques to use in your own context, projects and individual pieces of work.
An optional half day workshop on Day 4 is available for people starting new work using HCD. You will have the opportunity to bring your team into BizLab to show them how to add a human centred focus to their work.
Available to all APS staff.
Experienced HCD practitioners may be interested in our Train the Trainer course.
APS staff: $975 for the full 3-day course.
This fee is calculated on a cost recovery basis and is subject to change and additional administration fees.
Department of Industry, Innovation and Science staff: No cost.
APS staff can pay and register for the following dates by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Department of Industry, Innovation and Science staff must register internally through PageUp.
2019 course dates: Canberra
We hold courses in Canberra throughout the year. All days run from 9:00am to 5:00pm.
- Day 1 Friday 17 May
- Day 2 Friday 24 May
- Day 3 Friday 31 May
- Full course Tuesday 25 to Thursday 27 June
- Optional Day 4 Friday 28 June
July to August
- Day 1 Thursday 25 July
- Day 2 Thursday 1 August
- Day 3 Thursday 8 August
- Optional Day 4 Friday 9 August
- Day 1 Tuesday 13 August
- Day 2 Tuesday 20 August
- Day 3 Tuesday 27 August
- Optional Day 4 Wednesday 28 August
- Day 1 Thursday 5 September
- Day 2 Thursday 12 September
- Day 3 Thursday 19 September
- Optional Day 4 Friday 20 September
October to November
- Day 1 Tuesday 22 October
- Day 2 Tuesday 29 October
- Day 3 Tuesday 5 November
- Optional Day 4 Wednesday 6 November
November to December
- Day 1 Thursday 21 November
- Day 2 Thursday 28 November
- Day 3 Thursday 5 December
- Optional Day 4 Friday 6 December
2019 course dates: state capitals
We offer training by demand in population centres. If you are interested in BizLab running a course near you, please email email@example.com with your location and the number of people interested in training. When there is a class in your location, we will contact you with details.
All days run from 9:00am to 5:00pm.
- Day 1 Wednesday 1 May
- Day 2 Thursday 2 May
- Day 3 Thursday 9 May
- Day 4/Exec Friday 10 May
- Full course Wednesday 19 to Friday 21 June