Under this strategy, the government will work with the private sector to increase the uptake of hybrid, hydrogen, electric and biofuelled vehicles.
We'll make it easier to roll out future fuel technologies and give consumers better information about them. We’ll also ensure our electricity grid is ready for more electric vehicles.
This will help:
- promote consumer choice in vehicles
- develop local industries and jobs
- reduce emissions
- improve health outcomes
- increase fuel security.
Explore the digital publication
Read the digital version of the Future Fuels and Vehicles Strategy.
The government is focusing on 5 priority initiatives.
These initiatives will create an environment that promotes consumer choice, stimulates industry development and reduces emissions.
Other Australian Government activities
Actions that complement the priority initiatives and the activities of states, territories and industry.
The Future Fuels and Vehicles Strategy complements several other government policies.
Our department is responsible for these supporting strategies:
- Australia’s Long-Term Emissions Reduction Plan: a whole-of-economy plan to achieve net zero emissions by 2050.
- Technology Investment Roadmap: the government’s roadmap to develop and deploy low emissions technologies.
- Modern Manufacturing Strategy: a strategy for Australia to be recognised as a high-quality and sustainable manufacturing nation that helps deliver a strong, modern and resilient economy for all Australians.
- National Hydrogen Strategy: developed with state and territory governments, this strategy sets a vision for a clean, innovative, safe and competitive hydrogen industry that benefits all Australians.
Other supporting policies
- Bioenergy Roadmap: an Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) report outlining the role of the bioenergy sector in Australia’s energy transition.
- Ongoing work through the Energy Ministers Meeting and Transport and Infrastructure Ministers’ Meetings.
- The Future Fuels and Vehicles Strategy is part of Australia’s climate change strategies
- The Future Fuels Fund is helping remove barriers for electric vehicles in Australia