Our Graduate Development Program is for university undergraduates interested in a career in the Australian Public Service (APS).
Hear what our graduates say
Read more about graduate experiences.
The program gives you an opportunity to build on and use skills you have gained during university to work in a department that helps shape the Australian economy.
- a structured 2-year training and development program
- Canberra-based positions, with state-based work placement options in the second year
- starting salary of $59,476 (currently) plus 15.4% superannuation
- advancement to APS 5 (currently salary of $73,419 plus 15.4% superannuation) once you successfully complete the first year
To apply, you must:
- be an Australian citizen
- have completed a minimum 3 year undergraduate degree within the last 5 years
- be able to obtain and maintain a baseline security clearance
If your degree is from an overseas university, it must be recognised by the National Office of Overseas Skill Recognition.
Diversity and inclusion is part of how we work and do business. We understand and appreciate that diverse experiences, backgrounds and insights help us deliver to the public and government.
Our 2-year program provides on-the-job learning, formal training, networking opportunities, and further study to complement your tertiary education.
You can apply for our Generalist Stream, Professional Services Stream, or both.
We accept all disciplines of study. Our graduates come from a range of backgrounds, including economics, commerce, science, law and engineering.
Professional Services Stream
We are looking for graduates with an academic background in:
- human resources
Graduates in this stream receive the same training and development but undertake work placements in their area of expertise.
During our program you will experience:
- 4 work placements, covering diverse roles across the department
- the opportunity to collaborate with other graduates on a major project tackling real-life policy issues
- an option to pursue a Graduate Certificate in a field of interest to you and of relevance to us, during your second year
- soft and technical skills training and on-the-job learning throughout the program
In addition, we’ll provide you with:
- relocation assistance if you’re moving to Canberra
- a buddy to help you transition to Canberra and the workplace
- an extensive induction program so you can hit the ground running
- a dedicated Graduate Team who is here for you throughout the recruitment process and program
To apply, complete an online application before 6 June 2019.
From there, the process may include:
- a written pitch that shows your interest in working with us
- an assessment center with a group based activity, written task, and presentation
- referee checks
- an additional short phone or video interview for those applying through the Professional Services Stream
Connect with us
- Email Graduates [at] industry.gov.au
- Phone +61 2 6213 6501