The National Radioactive Waste Management Facility Taskforce is responsible for establishing a National Radioactive Waste Management Facility under the National Radioactive Waste Management Act 2012.
- facilitates the site selection process including site characterisation and heritage studies
- receives submissions from the community on issues related to site selection
- liaises directly with communities surrounding the nominated sites
The taskforce sits within the department’s Northern Australia and Major Projects Division.
Community liaison offices
The taskforce has a Community Liaison Officer in both the Hawker and Kimba communities to provide a link between community and government. Office hours are between 9am-5pm Monday to Friday.
The Hawker office location is: Old Hawker Council Building, 72 Cradock Road, Hawker SA 5434.
The Kimba office location is: 49 High Street, Kimba SA 5641.
The taskforce headquarters is at Industry House, 10 Binara Street, Canberra ACT 2601. The team comprises approximately 40 staff across policy, technical design, project management and communications functions.
Two independent consultative committees advise the taskforce on their respective sites. View information and minutes from the Kimba and Barndioota consultative committees.
Meeting with the Anti-Nuclear Coalition of South Australia
The department met with the Anti-Nuclear Coalition of South Australia in November 2018.
Read the questions and answer summary of the meeting [260KB PDF] [117KB DOCX].
Connect with us
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 13 28 46
- Write to us at: Department of Industry, Innovation and Science; National Radioactive Waste Section, GPO Box 2013, Canberra ACT 2601