Clean hydrogen and carbon capture investment to create 2,500 jobs while reducing emissions
The Australian Government is supporting the growth of Australia’s hydrogen industry as part of a new investment to back technologies and projects that will help to reduce global emissions, boost jobs and support Australia’s economic recovery.
Through the 2021-2022 Budget, the government will invest $539.2 million into clean hydrogen and carbon capture and carbon capture, use and storage (CCS/CCUS) projects:
- $275.5 million to support the development of 4 additional clean hydrogen hubs in regional Australia, trial a Guarantee of Origin/hydrogen certification scheme, and fund legal and market reforms.
- $263.7 million to support the development of CCS/CCUS projects and hubs
This investment is expected to create 2,500 jobs as part of the government’s technology-led plan to:
- grow the economy
- meet and beat Australia’s emissions reduction commitments
- The Minister announced more support for hydrogen and CCS/CCUS projects on 21 April 2020
- Hydrogen is a priority under the government’s first Low Emissions Technology Statement
- See how we are building Australia’s hydrogen industry through the National Hydrogen Strategy