On this page
Work with us
As an employer of choice, we value the different skills, knowledge and perspectives our employees bring. We’re committed to giving everyone an equal opportunity to participate, contribute and progress.
Applying for a position
Our current vacancies page lists all our permanent and non-ongoing positions.
See if you’re eligible and read the application process before you apply.
Our Graduate Development Program is for university undergraduates interested in a career in the Australian Public Service (APS).
We also advertise graduate opportunities using affirmative measures. We open specific roles to people with disability or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Student and volunteer opportunities
Workplace culture and people
Our People Strategy outlines how we are building a high performance organisation by investing in our people, culture, values and processes.
Our Inclusion Strategy shows how we are creating an inclusive and diverse workplace culture where we are all valued and respected for our contribution.
Our APS Employee Census Report shows how our staff feel about working with us. It includes information about job satisfaction, employee engagement, and diversity and inclusion.
Our department’s key priorities include holistic approaches to support:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- disability inclusion
- LGBTIQA+ inclusion
- cultural and linguistic diversity
- flexible work arrangements
- multi-generational employment strategies
See how we foster an engaged, inclusive and diverse workforce through targeted initiatives:
- Our Reconciliation Action Plan and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment Strategy demonstrate our commitment to an inclusive work culture and ensures we represent the diversity of the Australian community.
- Our affirmative recruitment measures aim to increase representation of Indigenous Australians and people with disability in our department and across the APS.
- We are a gold member of the Australian Network on Disability.
- We are members of Pride in Diversity and the Diversity Council Australia.
- Our Safety Health and Wellbeing Strategy provides measurable targets to achieve and maintain a safe working environment for all staff.
- We are leading a Mental Health Review in the Australian public service.
- We have a Mental Health First Aid skilled workforce and gold recognition from Mental Health First Aid Australia.
- We participate in the National Redress Scheme.
Working with us means following the Australian Public Service Commission’s (APSC) APS Values and Code of Conduct.
You should familiarise yourself with the APSC’s Integrated Leadership System as this sets out the behaviours and skills required for each level of the APS.
Pay and conditions
We offer a competitive salary and a flexible, balanced working environment. Read about our pay and conditions in our Enterprise Agreement.
The APSC provides guidance for people who want to join the APS.
Last updated: 22 February 2021
Content ID: 12521