Space technology and services benefit all Australians. Space helps farmers monitor the health of their crops, marine pilots guide cruise liners, and emergency workers track the progress of bushfires.
The Australian Space Agency is working to transform and grow a globally respected Australian space industry. This will:
- lift the broader economy
- inspire and improve the lives of Australians
- be underpinned by strong international and national engagement
Australia’s Civil Space Strategy
The Advancing Space: Australian Civil Space Strategy provides a 10-year plan to secure the future of Australia’s space sector.
Our role in growing the space sector
The Agency is responsible for whole-of-government coordination of civil space matters. It is the primary source of advice to the government on civil space policy. This involves:
- providing national policy and strategic advice on the civil space sector
- coordinating Australia’s domestic civil space sector activities
- supporting the growth of Australia’s space industry and the use of space across the broader economy
- leading international civil space engagement
- administering space activities legislation and delivering on our international obligations
- inspiring the Australian community and the next generation of space entrepreneurs
Industry programs and funding
We administer programs to help Australian businesses win a greater share of the global space market.
Space infrastructure fund
The Space Infrastructure Fund supports our emerging domestic space industry. The fund will fill space infrastructure gaps to help businesses and researchers to participate in the global space economy.
International space investment initiative
The International Space Investment initiative provides grants for projects to enable Australia’s participation in international space agency activities.
Moon to Mars initiative: funding commencing mid-2020
The Moon to Mars initiative worth $150 million will support:
- Australian businesses and researchers access international space supply chains
- space technologies to enable economic growth
The Prime Minister and Minister launched the initiative.
See how we consulted on the program design.
Supply chain program
Targets projects and activities to build Australia’s space industry capability. Supports Australian industry deliver products and services into the United States’ and international space supply chains.
Demonstrator and pilot projects showcasing Australia’s strengths to the world. Provides Australian industry pathways to develop and launch products. Creating new capability, enabling new business ventures, revenue streams or markets.
Major project supporting NASA’s activities related to their return to the Moon and on to Mars.
Operations and activities
The Agency is responsible for:
Learn about our structure and governance.
Established in July 2018 after a review of Australia’s Space Industry Capability, the Agency has $73.2 million in funding.
Connect with us