Space data and technologies enable the modern economy to function. It provides us with everyday essentials such as internet access and weather and location information.
The Australian Space Agency is working to transform and grow a globally respected Australian space industry.
Building capability in our space sector:
- supports the economy
- provides opportunities
- inspires participation
The Agency responsibilities include:
- setting national policy and strategy for the civil space sector
- coordinating Australia’s domestic space sector activities (including regulatory activities under the Space Activities Act 1998)
- leading international space engagement
- supporting the growth of Australia’s space industry
- sharing our expanding role in space and importance to the national economy
- inspiring the Australian community and the next generation of space entrepreneurs
The Agency commenced operations on 1 July 2018 and has access to $41 million over four years. Read the message from the Head of the Australian Space Agency.
Areas of focus in the first year include:
- finalising a charter to guide how the agency operates
- developing a strategy and investment plan to grow our space industry
- proactively engaging to develop international partnerships
Our initial priorities include:
- Communications technologies, services and ground stations
- Space Situational Awareness (SSA) and debris monitoring
- Positioning, Navigation and Timing (PNT) infrastructure
- Earth Observation (EO) services
- Research and development
- Remote asset management
- Developing a strategy to position Australia as an international leader in specialised space capabilities
A review of Australia’s Space Industry Capability informed the establishment of the Agency.
Subscribe to Australian Space Agency updates.
Read the Minister for Jobs and Innovation announcement: Budget 2018 New opportunities and jobs for Australian industry, 8 May 2018
If you have any questions, please contact us and we will respond as soon as we are able.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: +61 2 6276 1166
- Post: Australian Space Agency, GPO Box 2013, CANBERRA ACT 2601