Moon to Mars initiative: Launching Australian industry to space
The Australian Space Agency’s Moon to Mars initiative is a $150 million investment to grow the space industry.
Through this initiative, Australia has the opportunity to showcase our knowledge and capabilities in projects that can support NASA.
NASA is establishing sustainable exploration through the Artemis human exploration program. Collaborating with commercial and international partners to return to the Moon will prepare us for missions to travel on to Mars.
Our aim is for more Australian companies and researchers to take part in the space economy. By being a part of national and international projects, we will create jobs and further position Australia as a global space player.
The Moon to Mars initiative
The initiative includes three investment programs.
Supply Chain Program
This program draws on Australia’s competitive strengths. It builds capability and helps a variety of industries deliver products and services into global space supply chains.
This can include backing businesses to:
- develop a product from an adjacent industry, such as manufacturing and resources, to support the space sector
- improve or qualify an existing product to meet a supplier standard for an international space company
- buy, lease, construct, install or commission equipment, including specialist software
Apply for supply chain grants. Applications are ongoing and open until 1 May 2023.
This program supports Australian businesses and researchers to develop and launch space products or projects. By doing so, it will showcase our space strengths to the world.
This can include backing products or projects focused on the following:
- robotics and automation
- satellite communications
- remote medicine applications
- propulsion technology
This is the signature program of the initiative. It will see Australia play a direct role in NASA’s mission to go to the Moon and on to Mars.
This can include investing in and applying Australian capability for the mission across the following areas:
- autonomous systems such as a rover
- next generation communications
- componentry for a lunar probe or vehicle
- scientific research expertise in minerals
The Moon to Mars initiative will accelerate the growth of Australia’s space industry. The initiative showcases our best ideas and technologies to world.
The overall result will see Australia contributing to the global space sector, while supporting NASA’s Moon to Mars endeavours and future space missions.
- Read more about the Moon to Mars initiative
- Read more about Moon to Mars Supply Chain Capability Improvement Grants
- Read more about Australia signing NASA’s Artemis Accords
- Read more about the Australian Space Agency
Connect with us
- Follow us on Twitter @AusSpaceAgency
- Follow us on Facebook @australianspaceagency
- Australian Space Agency on LinkedIn
- Australian Space Agency YouTube channel
- Subscribe to email updates for the latest news
- Buy Australian Space Agency merchandise from Questacon
- General enquiries, email enquiries [at] space.gov.au
- Media enquiries, email media [at] space.gov.au
- Phone 1800 087 367 (within Australia) or +61 2 6276 1166 (from outside of Australia)