There’s much more to a career in space than being an astronaut. There are many exciting career paths to follow right here on Earth. Space law, medicine, design and manufacturing, robotics and data analysis. We need a range of skills to support our growing space sector.
Building a future workforce
We’re inspiring the future workforce to study subjects that will sustain and grow our national space industry.
Our goal is to triple the size of the sector and create up to 20,000 new Australian jobs by 2030. We are:
- supporting STEM and space-related initiatives and organisations around Australia
- inspiring the next generation through the inspirational aspects of space
- showcasing the diverse career paths in the Australian space sector
- supporting national activities that inspire an interest in space
- collaborating with state and territory governments, industry, academia and research institutions
Launch your career in space
Find the path to take your career into space. These are just a few fields for space professionals:
- Administration: accounting, project management, human resources
- Computing: data management and analytics, artificial intelligence
- Design: fabric, industrial, mechanical
- Education: historians, writers, teachers
- Engineering: aerospace, aircraft maintenance, avionics, electronics, flight test, mechanical, robotics, telecommunications
- Marketing: communications and public relations
- Pilot: commercial, emergency services, defence
- Space archaeologists and space anthropologists
- Space law
- Space medicine, psychology and medical research
- Space science: astrophysics, biology, meteorology, astronomy, geology
- Technicians and trades: electricians, welders, robotics, radar, manufacturing
Career tips from an aspiring space doctor
Studying space medicine could take you to an Antarctica research analogue, the flight surgeon’s seat at Mission Control, or to outer space itself. Read about Vienna Tran’s dream to be a space doctor.
Meet some young Australian space professionals
These 3 space engineers enjoy the varied experiences of working in the space sector. Find out what their working days look like.
Work with us
We aim to support the sector to open up more employment options in the space industry through:
- national and international engagement
- policy and programs
- regulation of civil space activities
Technical project and research roles sit within other agencies like:
- Geoscience Australia
- other scientific research bodies
All job vacancies are listed on the department's jobs website.
Connect with us
- Email email@example.com
- Phone 1800 087 367 (within Australia) / +61 2 6276 1166
- Head office: Lot Fourteen, McEwin Building. North Terrace, Adelaide, SA 5000
- Write to us at Australian Space Agency, GPO Box 2013, CANBERRA ACT 2601