On this page
Offshore oil and gas safety review
We’re reviewing the safety regime for offshore oil and gas workers in Australian Commonwealth waters.
The review is part of our continuous regulatory improvement process. It anticipates the sunsetting of the current offshore safety regulations, the Offshore Petroleum and Greenhouse Gas Storage (Safety) Regulations 2009, in 2024.
The review aims to ensure the current safety regime continues to provide an effective, leading-practice framework for securing the health, safety and welfare of workers.
The evidence-based review is looking at:
- the Safety Regulations
- Schedule 3 (Occupational Health and Safety) of the Offshore Petroleum and Greenhouse Gas Storage (OPGGS) Act
- any other matters under the OPGGS Act incidental to the items above, but necessary for a comprehensive review of the safety regime
Terms of Reference
The review may result in proposed policy changes and legislative amendments, where necessary, to improve the safety regime.
We encourage everyone involved in or affected by the offshore safety regime to contribute to the review.
Draft policy framework
Our draft policy framework outlined our proposed policy approach for the offshore oil and gas safety regime. The submissions we received in response to the draft policy framework will help to inform the final policy framework.
Our discussion paper provided an overview of the offshore safety legislation and raised issues for public comment. The submissions we’ve received in response to the discussion paper helped us develop the draft policy framework.
Safety Stakeholder Group
The Safety Stakeholder Group (SSG) allows key stakeholders with significant interests in offshore oil and gas safety to participate in the review.
This consultative group allows ideas and issues to be tested and discussed through information sharing and constructive engagement. The SSG is not a decision making body. It comprises representatives from the offshore petroleum industry, unions, offshore workforce, Commonwealth, state and territory governments.
- Safety Stakeholder Group Meeting Notes: November 2019 in Melbourne [811KB PDF] [58KB DOCX]
- Safety Stakeholder Group Meeting Notes: March 2019 in Perth [203KB PDF] [758KB DOCX]
- Safety Stakeholder Group Meeting Notes: December 2018 in Melbourne [171 KB PDF] [75KB DOCX]
- Safety Stakeholder Group Meeting Notes: October 2018 in Perth [758 KB PDF] [77KB DOCX]
During the initial consultation phase, we held Offshore Safety Review workshops in:
- Melbourne on Monday 13 August 2018: Workshop Summary Report [1.3MB PDF] [1.3MB DOCX]
- Perth on Monday 22 October 2018: Workshop Summary Report [1MB PDF] [1MB DOCX]
To register your interest in receiving updates on the review email OffshoreRegulations@industry.gov.au
- Find out about the senate inquiry into the work health and safety of workers in the offshore petroleum industry.
- Read more about regulating offshore oil and gas in Australian waters.
Last updated: 8 December 2020
Content ID: 67282