An Expert Reference Group (ERG), chaired by Dr. Megan Clark AC, conducted the review.
The ERG consulted widely to consider:
- Australia’s capability and advantages
- regional and international engagement within the sector
- space industry sector alignment with other sectors and government priorities
The review found that:
- Australia’s space industry already employs about 10,000 people and was worth AU$3.9 billion in the 2015–16 financial year
- Australia has a vibrant community of active small and medium-sized enterprises and world-leading capability in research
- stakeholders expressed a strong need for an Australian space agency
Space industry capability review
The government received the Report from the Expert Reference Group from the Review on 29 March 2018.
The Minister for Jobs and Innovation announced the Australian Government response to the Review on of Australia’s Space Industry Capability on 14 May 2018.