On this page
Employing Your First Person Taskforce
The Department established a cross-agency taskforce in 2020 to make it easier for sole traders and micro businesses to become first time employers.
The Employing Your First Person Taskforce’s key priority is to help employers understand:
- key steps to hire an employee
- their responsibilities to meet their obligations
The taskforce creates tools and resources to help small businesses meet their hiring requirements. This work supports the Australian government’s commitment to reduce regulation.
See the government’s Deregulation Agenda on the PMC website.
Hiring employees checklist
The taskforce developed Hiring Employees checklist on business.gov.au. It guides employers through the required steps when hiring an employee.
The checklist includes:
- recruitment and employment types
- pay requirements
- tax and superannuation
- ending employment
Employment contract tool
The taskforce is developing an online tool to help employers create an employment contract and a letter of offer for their new employees.
The tool will be available in 2021.
The government agencies in the taskforce are:
- Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources
- Deregulation Taskforce in the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Attorney-General’s Department
- Fair Work Ombudsman
- Fair Work Commission
- Australian Taxation Office
- Digital Transformation Agency
- Department of Education, Skills and Employment
Last updated: 8 December 2020
Content ID: 68224