Third Annual Statement on Developing Northern Australia
Developing Northern Australia
The Minister for Resources and Northern Australia, Senator the Hon Matt Canavan has made the third Annual Statement to Parliament on the developing Northern Australia agenda.
Following the statement, a northern themed reception was held at Parliament House, co-hosted by Minister Canavan and the Northern Australia Alliance (NAA).
The function was attended by a wide variety of stakeholders including the Northern Australia Advisory Council, the Indigenous Reference Group, the Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility and the Cooperative Research Centre for Northern Australia. Representatives from the Australian, Northern Territory, Queensland and Western Australian governments attended, along with a range of industry sectors across northern Australia and national organisations.
The reception was enriched with food and drinks sourced from across the north, and music from traditional and contemporary Indigenous artists.
Our North, Our Future
The government’s plan to unlock the north through the Our North, Our Future: White Paper on Developing Northern Australia, was released in 2015. The white paper includes commitments of over $6 billion spread over 20 years.
The development of the north is progressing quickly:
- roads are being planned and built
- concessional finance is supporting major new projects
- industry-led research and innovation is driving increased productivity
- trade and investment links are being forged and strengthened
Three years into implementation, the government has delivered on 38 measures and longer-term initiatives are underway.
- Watch the Our North, Our Future video
- Read the 2018 Annual Statement to Parliament
- Read the 2018 Implementation Report on Developing Northern Australia