National Measurement Institute assisting businesses with COVID recovery
Ensuring Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and medical devices meet Australian and international standards provides assurance and confidence to businesses operating as COVID restrictions ease.
Trusted and reliable testing supports local manufacturers to optimise production. It also enables them to maintain high quality supply chains of these critical products.
Independent testing gives regulators, industry and consumers confidence in the quality of products and services.
The National Measurement Institute (NMI)’s range of new and existing measurement services is helping manufacturers and laboratories to quickly and effectively meet the COVID-19 challenge.
Our testing services
We validate the performance of PPE and medical devices to boost the supply required in Australia’s fight against COVID-19.
Masks and respirators
NMI has established NATA accredited services to test face masks against:
- the Australian standard, AS 4381:2015
- the international standards EN-14683, ASTM-F2101, ASTM-F1862 and ISO-22609
NMI is assisting laboratories around Australia to develop trusted, reliable and uniform mask testing capabilities.
Eye and face protection
NMI provides optical testing for compliance with Australian standards.
We offer specialist services on medical devices testing including:
- calibration of reference equipment, reagents and reference material
- consultancy and bespoke testing services to support manufacturers and commercial labs with COVID-19 related PPE and medical devices testing.
NMI is able to analyse alcohol type and concentration in hand sanitisers. This determines their compliance with TGA and ACCC guidelines.
As at March 2021, we are currently the only NATA accredited laboratory in Australia providing this service.
Making measurements more reliable
We innovate and collaborate to ensure measurements can be trusted during the fight against COVID-19.
Validation of SARS-CoV-2 assays
In collaboration with key Australian stakeholders, NMI has developed a certified reference material for the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
The reference material can be used to improve comparability of test results between laboratories, and minimises false positives and negatives.
It is applicable to the areas of pathology testing and wastewater surveillance.
Strengthening industry testing capabilities
NMI offers research consultancy services to assist laboratories with method development.
We also provide independent expert technical review to support confidence in measurement results.
- See our testing capability factsheets to learn more about the types of PPE and medical devices we can test locally
- Read more about our physical measurement services including optical, electrical, temperature, gas and liquid flow
- Read more about our SARS-CoV-2 reference material
- See our range of chemical and biological measurement services and reference materials
- See all our commercial testing and analytical services
- Find out more about the National Measurement Institute
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 1800 020 076