Launching Australian businesses into space
The second program in the Government’s $150 million Moon to Mars initiative is open.
The $3.7 million Demonstrator Feasibility grants provide opportunities for businesses and researchers to scope out the feasibility of projects which have the potential to operate or support operations in space. This includes activities related to NASA’s Moon to Mars space exploration endeavours.
The aim of the Demonstrator program is to build space heritage. This is essential to gain qualification and break into the space market and its supply chains.
The Demonstrator Feasibility grants are the first element of the Demonstrator program. The second element, the Demonstrator Mission grants are expected to open in late 2021. The design of the Demonstrator program aligns with the phases of a typical space mission life cycle.
Head of the Australian Space Agency Dr Megan Clark AC said the Demonstrator program will support commercially focused projects to:
- build capability in the national civil space sector
- open up global market opportunities
“The Demonstrator Feasibility grants are about building capacity and capability in entities that are at the starting point on the path to developing and launching products into space,” Dr Clark said. “The grants will help businesses and researchers identify the feasibility of potential projects before they embark on the next stages of a space mission.”
“Space exploration opens up new opportunities for Australia as it provides an avenue for Australian businesses to apply our best technology and know-how to space missions. These activities can also support the creation of high-value manufacturing capability, which can be transferred to other industries.”
Eligible projects could include:
- concurrent design studies
- technical feasibility studies and reviews
- preliminary design review
- conceptual design
- prototype design and development
- risk assessments, including national security risk
- developing a business case.
Grants of between $50,000 and $200,000 are available under the two year Demonstrator Feasibility grants program.
- Read more about the Moon to Mars initiative
- Apply for a Supply Chain Capability Improvement grant
- Read more about the Australian Space Agency
Connect with us
- Follow us on Twitter @AusSpaceAgency
- Follow us on Facebook @australianspaceagency
- Australian Space Agency on LinkedIn
- Australian Space Agency YouTube channel
- Subscribe to email updates for the latest news
- Buy Australian Space Agency merchandise from Questacon
Phone 1800 087 367 (within Australia) or +61 2 6276 1166 (from outside of Australia)