Comments welcomed on draft regulations to improve consultation and transparency of offshore oil and gas
We have developed draft amendments to the Offshore Petroleum and Greenhouse Gas Storage (Environment) Regulations 2009 and are now seeking public comments.
This follows the Minister’s announcement in November 2017, of changes arising from a review of the consultation and transparency requirements for offshore petroleum (oil and gas) activities.
These reforms will ensure the Australian public has a better understanding of the process used to decide where, when and how offshore petroleum activities take place and ensure more information on the environmental management of these activities is made public.
Key proposed changes include:
• requiring publication of full environment plans on submission by the titleholder and on acceptance by NOPSEMA
• formalising a public comment period on environment plans for exploration activities, including seismic surveys
We welcome submissions on the proposed amendments by 16 November 2018.
We will be holding information sessions to provide further information on the proposed amendments.
- Perth: Tuesday 30 October, 9.30am – 12.00pm [Register]
- Perth: Wednesday 31 October, 9.30am – 12.00pm [Register]
- Adelaide: Thursday 1 November, 10.00am – 12.30pm [Register]
- Melbourne: Friday 2 November, 9.30am – 12.00pm [Register]
Please register by Friday 26 October 2018.
Email offshoreenvironment [at] industry.gov.au