Australia Day Honour for Dr Barry Inglis
The inaugural CEO of the National Measurement Institute (NMI), Dr Barry Inglis, was appointed an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO) in the 2021 Australia Day Honours List. This honour recognises Australians who have demonstrated outstanding service or exceptional achievement.
As well as being NMI’s first CEO, Dr Inglis was Australia’s first Chief Metrologist. He was a key driver in the establishment of NMI in 2004. His leadership, vision and commitment helped forge a single effective national authority. NMI responds to multidisciplinary measurement challenges and support industries of the future.
Dr Inglis’ Order of Australia recognises his distinguished service to:
science and engineering, particularly to metrology
measurement standards and research
He also received the Public Service Medal in 2007 due to his exceptional contributions.
Prior to the formation of NMI, Dr Inglis was Director of the National Measurement Laboratory, CSIRO and Deputy Chief of its Division of Applied Physics
Dr Inglis also played leadership roles including in support of Australia’s other quality infrastructure agencies. In particular, he was the Chairman of the Board of the National Association of Testing Authorities Australia (NATA) from 2003 to 2011.
Dr Inglis has an outstanding international reputation in electrical measurement. He is a highly respected leader in international metrology.
In recognition of the latter, he was elected to the International Committee for Weights and Measures (CIPM) in 2000. The CIPM is the peak global governance body under the inter-governmental Metre Treaty. Eighteen of the world’s most renowned measurement experts are members.
The CIPM elected Dr Inglis as Vice-President in 2002 and President in 2010. He was the first Australian and only the second non-European ever to hold this position.
As CIPM President, he oversaw the monumental efforts of the international measurement community. These efforts led to the redefinition of the International System of Units (the metric system) in 2018.
His reputation has enhanced Australia’s standing in the international community through other key international roles. Most notably he chaired the Asia-Pacific Metrology Programme (APMP) from 1994 to 1999. APMP is the peak regional forum for scientific measurement.
In this capacity, his vision led to the creation of the global framework for recognition of national measurement capabilities in 1999, the CIPM Mutual Recognition Arrangement. This framework continues to provide essential support to governments in reducing technical barriers to trade. He also contributed his expertise and wide experience to the development of quality infrastructure internationally.
Congratulations from all of us at NMI and our department, Barry!
Officer (AO) in the General Division of the Order of Australia
Dr Barry David INGLIS PSM, Lane Cove NSW 2066.
For distinguished service to science and engineering, particularly to metrology, measurement standards and research, and to professional organisations.
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- Director, National Measurement Laboratory, 1997-2004
Division of Applied Physics, CSIRO
- Deputy Chief, 1995-1996
- Deputy Chief - Standards, 1994-1995
- Assistant Chief - Standards, 1992-1994
- Manager, Applied Electricity and Magnetism Program, 1988-1994
- Leader, Power Frequency Group, 1975-1988
Comite International des Poids et Mesures, Bureau International des Poids et Mesures (International Committee of Weights and Measures, International Bureau of Weights and Measures)
- President, 2010-2019
- Vice-President, 2002-2010
- President, Consultative Committee for Electricity and Magnetism, 2003-2015
- Member, 2000-2019
National Association of Testing Authorities Australia (NATAA)
- Chairman, 2003-2011
- Director, 1992-2011
- Technical Assessor, 1976-1998
- Co-Founder, Australian Technical Infrastructure Alliance
Electrical Registration/Accreditation Advisory Committee, NATAA
- Chair, 1988-1998
- Vice-Chair, 1984-1988
- Member, 1979-1998
- Council Member, 1994-2007
- Member, Electrotechnology Standards Sector Board, 2000-2003
- CSIRO Representative, Electrical Standards Board, 1979-1989
Asia Pacific Metrology Programme
- Regional Coordinator/Chair, 1994-1999
Metrology Society of Australasia
- Inaugural Vice-President, 1993
- Fellow, 1996
- Founding Member, since 1993
- Inaugural Member, International Advisory Board, National Institute of Metrology China, 2009-2017
National Measurement Institute, Commonwealth Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- Honorary Fellow, since 2007
- Chief Executive Officer and Chief Metrologist, 2004-2007
- Fellow, Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, 2004
- Fellow, Metrology Society of Australia, 1996
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (USA), 1995
- Fellow, Engineers Australia, 1993
Awards and recognition include:
- Mendeleev Grand Gold Medal, Russian Academy of Metrology, 2015
- Public Service Medal, 2007
- M A Sargent Medal, Engineers Australia, 2006
- Asia Pacific Metrology Programme Award, 2000
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 1800 020 076