How we measure length, mass and temperature
National Measurement Institute’s (NMI) latest video series explain the 7 basic units of measurement simply for kids.
Australia’s Chief Metrologist and head of the NMI, Dr Bruce Warrington travels through time and space in a Tardis (kindly supplied by the ABC) to talk about each base unit. In each video, Bruce discusses how we measure each unit and how it has changed over time.
The first video was on how we measure time the second. Since then, we have released:
- a second video on the metre
- a third video on the kilogram
- the latest video on the kelvin, which is the unit we use to measure temperature
These videos are part of our outreach to improve science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education. They aim to make learning about measurement fun, so please share them far and wide, especially with any teachers you know!
Find out more about the National Measurement Institute
Connect with us
- Join us on Facebook @NMIAustralia
- Follow us on Twitter @NMIAustralia
- Follow the National Measurement Institute on LinkedIn
- Email info [at] measurement.gov.au
- Phone 1800 020 076