On 26 March 2019, the Australian Space Agency and Woodside Energy Ltd signed a statement of intent aimed at promoting technology transfer between the space sector and the oil and gas sector, enhancing the capability and competitiveness of Australian industry.
Read the full statement below.
Joint Statement of Strategic Intent and Cooperation between Australian Space Agency and Woodside Energy Ltd
The Commonwealth of Australia as represented by the Australian Space Agency, part of the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science, hereinafter referred to as “the Agency” and represented by Dr Megan Clark AC, Head, Australian Space Agency and Woodside Energy Ltd, hereinafter referred to as "Woodside" and represented by Shaun Gregory, Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, Woodside Energy Ltd.
- Recalling that the Agency's purpose is to transform and grow a globally respected Australian space industry that lifts the broader economy, inspires and improves the lives of Australians – underpinned by strong international and national engagement.
- Recalling that the Agency’s areas of strategic priority include communications, technologies and services; navigation and timing; space situational awareness; research and development; earth observation; remote asset management; and positioning, navigation and timing in space and on earth.
- Recalling that the Agency is responsible for whole-of-government coordination of civil space matters and is the primary source of advice to the Australian Government on civil space policy including: providing national policy and strategic advice on the civil space sector; coordinating Australia's domestic civil space sector activities; supporting the growth of Australia's space industry and the use of space across the broader economy; leading international civil space engagement; administering space activities legislation and delivering on our international obligations; and inspiring the Australian community and the next generation of space entrepreneurs.
- Recalling that Woodside is the largest Australian natural gas producer with a global portfolio, recognised for its world-class capabilities as an integrated upstream supplier of energy.
- Recalling that Woodside is actively expanding its capability in remote operations and the technologies that enable the expansion of assets that can be operated in remote and extreme environments, including:
- Advanced sensor design and deployment;
- Robotics and autonomous systems; and
- Artificial intelligence, data science and data visualisation platforms
- Recalling that Woodside currently collaborates across industry sectors, including active joint research and development activities and staff secondment arrangements with NASA. Woodside also is actively collaborating with Defence, Mining, Academic and other Research Organisations.
- Acknowledging that the Agency and Woodside share the objective of enhancing the capability and competitiveness of Australian industry and promoting technology transfer between the Space Sector and other Industrial Sectors for the benefit of all.
- Acknowledging that the Agency as an Australian Government agency that is committed to open, transparent and significant industry engagement.
Through this Statement, Woodside acknowledges the following current projects, areas of strategic interest and growth, potential new areas of collaboration and support for education and training which are of interest to the nation:
- Remote operations
The development of enabling technologies to manage assets in remote and extreme environments, including sensors, robotics, automation, autonomous systems and wireless communication. These technologies, once demonstrated and deployed in commercial operations with embedded safety systems, will provide contact and capability to deploy across industry sectors on earth as well as space, lunar and mars missions.
- Inter-sector technology transfer
Promoting technology transfer, learning and best practice across Australian and international organisations in the fields of robotics and task automation incorporating machine learning and artificial intelligence – translating terrestrial applications into space.
- Capability training
Collaborating with educational institutions (Australian universities and TAFE sectors) to ensure the Australian workforce is prepared to leverage the opportunities that these new technologies as applied to the resource sector can now bring to the broader economy. Continued offering of training, student internships and graduate programs in various areas to support the future workforce.
This Statement constitutes the expression of both parties' intention to continue discussions. It does not create legal obligations between the parties and does not establish the obligation to enter into a certain agreement.
Joint Statement of Strategic Intent and Cooperation with Woodside Energy Ltd [172KB PDF]
Connect with us