To support a globally recognised Australian medical products industry with the capability, capacity and expertise to locally manufacture advanced and high-value medical products using sophisticated processes.
Medical products manufacturing will be led by strong, profitable businesses and world-class researchers in a thriving and collaborative ecosystem. Australian medical products will improve health and wellbeing in Australia and across the world.
The large global market for medical products offers export opportunities for Australian manufacturers to drive scale and competitiveness. Growing and strengthening the medical products manufacturing ecosystem will also make Australia more resilient to future shocks and supply chain disruptions.
The vision and opportunities in this road map leverage Australia’s comparative advantages in manufacturing medical products. Australia conducts world-class medical research, has a highly skilled workforce and a globally respected regulatory framework. This has given Australian manufacturers a reputation for producing high-quality, complex and safe medical products. These comparative advantages provide a strong base for further growth and supporting resilience in times of crisis.
Focusing on commercial opportunities
This road map has been informed by an industry-led taskforce, selected based on their expertise across the medical products manufacturing priority area.
It focuses on high-value commercial opportunities for Australian manufacturers, and making it easier for businesses to commercialise those products and manufacture them here. In keeping with recent reports from CSIRO, MTPConnect, the Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering and the Medical Research Future Fund, the taskforce has highlighted areas of opportunity including:
- smart monitoring devices and diagnostics, personalised implants and bionics
- high-value pharmaceuticals, biologics and complementary medicines
- cutting-edge treatments, including regenerative medicine and genomics
- digital integrated products and platforms
- animal health.
This road map focuses on helping businesses to develop more medical product manufacturing in Australia. Key actions to support this vision and drive scale in manufacturing include:
- creating better pathways for companies to translate their ideas into commercial products in Australia. This includes co-investments in facilities that allow companies to undertake first production runs and prototyping
- assisting manufacturers with a globally competitive product to integrate into local and international supply chains
- developing vibrant manufacturing ecosystems that support commercialisation and expand manufacturing output.