Australia’s National Greenhouse Accounts: summary
The climate change policy functions transferred to the Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources as a result of the Administrative Arrangements Order made on 5 December 2019 with effect from 1 February 2020.
Australia has been estimating and reporting on greenhouse gas emissions since 1991, through the National Greenhouse Accounts. This includes:
- National Inventory Reports
- land sector reporting
We’ve compiled previously published summaries of these reporting systems and methods we use to estimate emissions. Note some details like department names may be out of date.
- National inventory systems: overview [586KB PDF]
- The land sector in the national inventory: overview [1.14MB PDF]
- Coal seam gas: estimating and reporting greenhouse gas emissions [1.55MB PDF]
- Wildfire in forests in Australia: impact and emissions [872KB PDF]
Land sector reporting
- Drivers of land clearing in Australia [822KB PDF]
- Land clearing assessment of biomass density [1.29MB PDF]
- Australia's forest management reference level [1.49MB PDF]
If you experience any difficulty accessing these documents, please contact us.