There are 8 release areas in the Browse Basin, offshore north-western Australia.
Release area locations:
- Caswell Sub-basin
- Barcoo Sub-basin
- View petroleum geology information for the Browse Basin from Geoscience Australia.
- For wells and survey information search the interactive NOPIMS database
Maps and shapefiles
Maps show the release areas in bathymetric detail. They also include other permit locations, known petroleum accumulations and wells. Shapefiles show the areas in vector format for geographic information system software.
View high resolution release area maps:
- Caswell Sub-basin (Ashmore and Cartier Islands) release area map [1.36MB PNG]
- Caswell Sub-basin (Western Australia) release area map [1.57MB PNG]
- Caswell Sub-basin (Western Australia) and Barcoo Sub-basin release area map [2.49MB PNG]
Block diagrams show the coordinates of release area boundaries.
View block diagrams:
- Caswell Sub-basin (Ashmore and Cartier Islands) block diagram [136KB JPG]
- Caswell Sub-basin (Western Australia) block diagram [319KB JPG]
- Caswell Sub-basin (Western Australia) and Barcoo Sub-basin block diagram [629KB JPG]
Block listings provide graticular block numbers and 1:1,000,000 map sheet references that identify each release area.
Marine parks and international jurisdictions
The following areas overlap with marine parks and international jurisdictions for commercial fishing.
- The Indonesia Traditional Fishing Memorandum of Understanding Box overlaps with release areas AC20-6, W20-4, W20-5, W20-6, W20-7 and W20-8.
- The Kimberley Multiple Use Zone (IUCN VI) overlaps with release areas W20-4 and W20-9.
- The Cartier Island Sanctuary Zone (IUCN Ia) is near release area AC20-6. Potential bidders are encouraged to review the public consultation submission from the Director of National Parks prior to bidding.
The Western Australia Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions has published information on state conservation reserves near release areas.
How to bid
Work-program bidding closes on Tuesday 1 June 2021.
Find out how to file your application.
About these files
If you experience any difficulty accessing this information, please email Petroleum.Exploration [at] industry.gov.au