On this page
National Radioactive Waste Management Facility Taskforce
The National Radioactive Waste Management Facility Taskforce began the process of establishing a National Radioactive Waste Management Facility.
In July 2020, the responsibilities of the taskforce transitioned to the Australian Radioactive Waste Agency.
Roles and responsibilities
- developed the Australian Radioactive Waste Management Framework
- facilitated the site selection process including site characterisation and heritage studies
- received submissions from the community on issues related to site selection
- liaised directly with communities surrounding the nominated sites.
The taskforce sat within our department’s Northern Australia and Major Projects Division.
Kimba in South Australia has been identified as the preferred host community for the facility. A Community Liaison Officer in the Kimba community continues to provide a link between community and government. Office hours are between 9am-5pm Monday to Friday.
Kimba office: 49 High Street, Kimba SA 5641.
The taskforce team comprised approximately 40 staff across policy, technical, project management, and community engagement functions.
ARWA’s office: Adelaide, South Australia.
Independent consultative committees advised the taskforce on their respective sites. View information and minutes from the consultative committees and economic working groups.
The taskforce met with the Anti-Nuclear Coalition of South Australia in November 2018.
- Access past news and media statements
- Read taskforce reports, independent assessments and community information
- See earlier work by the taskforce to nominate a site on the Australia Government web archive. We’re aware there are discrepancies with data capture of some documents in the archive. If you’re having difficulty accessing any documents, please contact us.
- Email radioactivewaste [at] industry.gov.au
- Phone 13 28 46
- Write to us at: Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources; National Radioactive Waste Section, GPO Box 2013, Canberra ACT 2601
Last updated: 12 June 2021
Content ID: 63495