On this page
Australian Space Agency Advisory Group
The Australian Space Agency Advisory Group is non-statutory, independent and skills-based.
- provides advice to the Head of the Agency
- reviews and advises the strategic direction and performance of the Agency
- supports the agency to achieve its purpose
- is not a decision-making body and has no governing legislation
Professor Steven Freeland
State: New South Wales
Current Position: Dean and Professor of International Law, Western Sydney University
- Extensive national and international experience in space law, representing the Australian Government at the UN and advising the Australian and New Zealand governments on space regulation.
- Editorial board member of several space-related journals, author of over 300 publications on international and space law.
- Former positions: Director of the International Institute of Space Law in Paris, faculty member of the London Institute of Space Policy and Law, member of the International Law Association’s Space Law Committee.
- Read Professor Steven Freeland’s full biography on LinkedIn
- PhD in International Law, Maastricht University
- Master of Laws, University of New South Wales (UNSW)
- Bachelor of Law and Commerce, Bachelor of Industrial Relations, UNSW
- Marie Curie Fellow in 2013
Professor Lisa Harvey-Smith
States: Tasmania and New South Wales
- Australian Government Ambassador, Women in STEM
- Professor of Practice in Science Communication, UNSW
- Research Group Leader, CSIRO’s Australia Telescope National Facilities Science Program
- Award-winning astrophysicist and science communicator.
- Over 15 years conducting fundamental astrophysics research at universities and institutes around the world.
- Past presenter of the ABC television show Stargazing Live.
- Read Professor Lisa Harvey-Smith’s full biography on LinkedIn
- PhD in Radio Astronomy, University of Manchester
- Master (Hons) of Physics in Astronomy and Astrophysics
Professor Peter Klinken AC
State: Western Australia
Current Position: Chief Scientist of Western Australia
- Leading medical research scientist advancing the understanding of genes in leukaemia, cancer and anaemia.
- Research achievements include discovery of a gene that supresses the growth of tumours.
- Worked as a researcher at the US National Institutes of Health in Washington and Walter and Eliza Hall Institute in Melbourne.
- Read Professor Peter Klinken’s full biography on LinkedIn
Qualification: PhD in Biochemistry, The University of Western Australia
Dr Chris Pigram AM
State: Australian Capital Territory
- Member, CSIRO Deep Earth Imaging Advisory Panel
- Chair, AuScope Limited
- Chair, Independent Expert Scientific Committee on Coal Seam Gas and Large Coal Mines
- Chair, MinEx Cooperative Research Centre
- Chief Executive Officer with a long history in the environmental services industry.
- Formerly Director of the National Computation Infrastructure, Australia’s largest research supercomputer, and CEO of Geoscience Australia.
- Read Dr Chris Pigram’s full biography on LinkedIn
- PhD in Geoscience, Australian National University
- Bachelor (Hons) in Geology and Earth Sciences, UNSW
- Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
Mr Frank Robert
Current Position: Associated Vice President, AT Kearney
- Contributed to NASA planetary missions and leading-edge commercial spacecraft.
- Leads space practice for Australia, specialising in telecommunications, satellites and technology strategy.
- Has conducted research and authored a white paper on optimising the economic impact of the Australian Space Agency.
- Read Frank Robert’s full biography on LinkedIn
- Master of Business Administration, Cornell University
- Graduate work in Radio Astrophysics and Planetary Sciences
- Bachelor of Arts, Major in Economics and Minor in Astronomy, Amherst College
Professor Margaret Sheil AO
- Vice-Chancellor and President, Queensland University of Technology (QUT)
- Member, CSIRO Science Industry Endowment Fund
- Former positions: Director, Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation, Chief Executive Officer of the Australian Research Council, senior roles at QUT, Melbourne University, and the University of Wollongong.
- Awarded an Officer of the Order of Australia in 2017 for distinguished service to science and higher education.
- Read Professor Margaret Sheil’s full biography on LinkedIn
- PhD in Chemistry, UNSW
- Bachelor of Science, UNSW
Dr Andrew Thomas AO
State: South Australia (and International)
Current Position: Advisor to the SA Government on space
- An aerospace engineer and former NASA astronaut.
- Part of the crew for STS-77, STS-89 (docked with Mir Space Station), STS-102 (ISS) and STS-114 (the return to flight mission following the Columbia accident).
- Involved in Engineers Australia and a well-recognised supporter of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
Qualification: PhD in Mechanical Engineering, University of Adelaide
Terms of Reference
- Australian Space Agency
Last updated: 8 December 2020
Content ID: 64843